Families & Carers

Are you affected by someone else’s drug or alcohol use?

It can be a terrible shock to find out that someone in your family is misusing drugs or alcohol whether they are a child, brother or sister, or your partner. You may feel that there is nowhere to turn and you may be worried about all sorts of consequences, from dealing with the law to worrying about how other people will react. Serious drug or alcohol problems in the family can create incredible tension and distress but it’s important to remember that family communication and support can make a real difference. Although you may feel alone rest assured you’re not there are many other people experiencing the same things as you. You have a vital role to play and there are people out there who can help.

Inclusion offers a support service for the families of adults who misuse drugs or alcohol. They are able to provide a safe and confidential place to talk, offer information and coping strategies, and signpost to other relevant services. To find out more access the ‘Families Zone’ via the link: http://www.inclusion-cambridgeshire.org.uk/families-zone/

Domestic Abuse

Drugs and alcohol is not a cause of domestic abuse or sexual violence, but it can be a contributing factor.  Domestic abuse isn’t only being physically attacked, it can also be psychological, sexual, financial or emotional abuse. If you are experiencing domestic abuse, or have concerns about someone else, and would like advice/support please visit the Cambridgeshire Domestic Abuse & Sexual Violence website:

Cambridgeshire DASV Partnership


Young Carers

Advice and Support for Young Carers

Young Carers are children who look after someone in their family who has an illness, a disability, a mental health problem or a substance misuse problem. Young Carers take on practical and/or emotional caring responsibilities that would normally be expected of an adult. (Princess Royal Trust for Carers)

A Young Carer is anyone under the age of 18 whose life is in some ways restricted because of the need to take responsibility for the care of someone who is ill, has a disability, is experiencing mental distress, or is affected by substance misuse. (Carers UK)

Young people in caring roles who would like advice or support can contact one of the following agencies:

Centre 33 – Young Carers Project Cambridge City

Centre 33 offers support to Young Carers across Cambridgeshire for information and referrals please visit Centre 33 or contact: Kate Rees  Tel: 01223 307488  E-mail: youngcarers@centre33.org.uk

Ormiston Trust Young Carers Project Fenland

Tel: 01945 463337  E-mail: joy.stoner@ormiston.org  http://www.ormistontrust.org/

Cambridgeshire County Council Young Carer support

Please visit the Young Carers page on the County Council website for the most up to date information

For a Young Carers Needs Assessment email youngcarers@cambridgeshire.gov.uk